Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

General Aviation Recommendations

I think around 15.  That plane pulls all over the place.  Maybe an axis issue I'm missing.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

46 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

I think around 15.  That plane pulls all over the place.  Maybe an axis issue I'm missing.

The 172 is not an airliner with demonstrated crosswind figures up around 50 knots.

The maximum demonstrated crosswind component for a c172 is 15 to 17 knots depending on the variant.

Hence 15 knots is right on the borderline for what a 172 can handle in terms of rudder authority to compensate and hold straight. You should expect it to be difficult with that much crosswind and you would basically need a huge chunk of aileron into the wind and full opposite rudder just to track straight.. Any higher and you start getting lateral forces on the undercarriage.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 1

The WBSim 172 should be at the top of the list. It also takes advantage of all the new aerodynamic modelling that the sim has to offer, one of the only GA airplanes to do this. It is very complete, flies awesome, has all the system modelling, state saves everything... pair it with the soundpack for the 172... pretty awesome stuff. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The 172 is not an airliner with demonstrated crosswind figures up around 50 knots.

The maximum demonstrated crosswind component for a c172 is 15 to 17 knots depending on the variant.

Hence 15 knots is right on the borderline for what a 172 can handle in terms of rudder authority to compensate and hold straight. You should expect it to be difficult with that much crosswind and you would basically need a huge chunk of aileron into the wind and full opposite rudder just to track straight.. Any higher and you start getting lateral forces on the undercarriage.

I just did a flight in a different plane, but I noticed somehow an axis on my yoke was assigned to throttle as well.  So I had duplicate throttle assignments it seemed.  Removing those bindings fixed it.  I'm still struggling with trying to pan with the mouse and having it not turn anymore.  Really weird.  When I have more time off I need to sit down and actually setup the camera and assignments. I've just been too excited to tinker. 

ETA: It wasn't an intended flight into 15 knots.  I just wanted to see what KPDX/KTTD looked like and wanted some rain, lol.

Edited by Orlaam

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

27 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

ETA: It wasn't an intended flight into 15 knots.  I just wanted to see what KPDX/KTTD looked like and wanted some rain, lol.

- 15 knots is a lot for a 172.  if you were in training your instructor would not let you takeoff with that much crosswind until you had a lot of logged crosswind experience

- the game tends to overdo the "weathervane into wind" effect of crosswinds when on the ground, meaning you often run out of rudder authority, which would make matters worse

If you just want to look around consider changing the weather to "Clear Skies" or "few clouds" for the flight. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hope the Arrows are equally updated.. they are currently hangared on my system.

According to Just Flight we can expect updates for the Arrows and Warrior within a week:
Changelog for the coming update for the Arrow:

v0.10.6 (pending release)

• Latest TDS GTNXi models/textures added
  • Compatibility with latest versions of Working Title GNS, PMS-50 GTN and TDS GTNXi (including new autopilot logic)
  • EFB functionality upgrades:
    • Import your SimBrief flight and view a summary or scrollable full OFP
    • Monitor your position in real time using a map view with tracking, zoom and pan options
    • Explore and view your Navigraph charts, with automatic selection of departure and arrival airports based on your SimBrief OFP, and ability to favourite charts for quick reference
    • Use a notepad for making notes during the flight, particularly useful for noting down clearances and taxi instructions
    • Interactive checklists, in addition to the existing MSFS checklist support
    • A top-of-descent calculator with the option to manually input altitudes, speeds and descent requirements or to have those sync'd from the sim
    • An on-screen/virtual keyboard, especially useful for VR users
    • METARs for your SimBrief OFP departure, arrival and alternate airports
  • Animations and cockpit interactions updated for compatibility with LOCK interaction mode and Xbox
  • Flight model updates (greater pitch stability and better ground handling)
  • Trim sensitivity slider added to EFB, allowing you to fine tune the sensitivity of the pitch trim
  • Improved spark plug fouling simulation
  • Vertical speed hold hidden clickspot added to autopilot panel - with altitude hold engaged, clicking on the vertical speed clickspot will engage vertical speed hold mode, holding the vertical speed that existed at the point of engagement
  • Dynamic baggage added - a variety of baggage will appear in the baggage compartment, depending on the selected payload weight
  • Smoother cockpit pushbutton animations
  • GNS 530/430 screens resized to prevent edge clipping
  • Support added for SET ELECTRICAL FUEL PUMP 1 control assignment
  • Throttle quadrant cursor icons (hand/grab) updated to make it easier to see when your cursor is moving between levers
  • Touchdown sounds fixed

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

No changes to the interior textures for any of these? They really look a little dated now. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

16 hours ago, Orlaam said:

Latest SU12 update also addresses this behavior.. hopefully for the better 😉

• Like 1

Bert