Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

MSFS 2024 FAQ now up

4 hours ago, Wildblue said:

Okay, but then fs2020 would be obsolete, no? Why keep fs2020 then? Who would wanna fly with a not-updated flight-sim-engine? For what reason?

Because not everyone will want to upgrade right away, or be able to afford it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ESzczesniak said:

I haven't seen anything about pricing and sales model.

MSFS's price or sales model wasn't revealed until a month before it released. Be patient.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

I have some musings wondering if this is a move to ease a transition to a subscription model.  It's the trend of almost all software.  I despise it, but expect this to be somewhere in the future. While confirmed as a new title, I haven't seen anything about pricing and sales model.

I've no problem with a sub model, I've played enough iRacing to get used to that and I played MMORPGs for many years that required a monthly sub. Sure it feels more like you're "renting" the product rather than fully owning it, but as long as I'm playing then I'm fine with it.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

49 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I've no problem with a sub model, I've played enough iRacing to get used to that and I played MMORPGs for many years that required a monthly sub. Sure it feels more like you're "renting" the product rather than fully owning it, but as long as I'm playing then I'm fine with it.

I am with you Marc.

As you cannot play the sim without being hooked to the MS servers and that there are constant upgrades a dedicated subscription model would now make sense. Not the GP but rather something like MS 365.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

14 hours ago, Bt103504 said:

I will say that its important to critique ASOBO's handling of this marketing approach. I think their marketing and PR team needs some serious training and guidance moving forward as much of the excitement was lost on the broader community due to a lack of clarity.

What's even more important is making clear that it is NOT Asobo who are to blame for anything PR/marketing. They develop the sim, that's all. It's Microsoft who do all the publishing, marketing and make the decisions and this screw up is on them.

14 hours ago, rjquick said:

'Pet issues' like PAPI lights. One of the most basic and important navaids at an airport.

It's like like bringing your car to mechanic because the brakes aren't working right and he gives the car back with a new racing stripe on the hood and never looks into the brake issue. When you complain, he tells you stop whining and just look at how beautiful that racing stripe is.

I hear you and I too prefer fixing core issues over missions, but you keep missing the point entirely - which is that just because there were missions shown in the 1 minute trailer, doesn't mean core issues cannot have been addressed at the same time. People always think core issues and missions are mutually exclusive, which they are not.

It has already been confirmed by Phil Spencer of Microsoft that things such as weather and flight model are significantly improved besides adding new content, so this fear of missions meaning no advancement in core issues is just moot at this point. From what we do know it is likely the reason we didn't see improvments in many core issues thus far is that they were planned for MSFS2024 all along and development in this area was probably focused on 2024 - which however also doesn't mean that when these fixes are finished for 2024, they will never come to 2020.

TL, DR: People need to stop jumping to conclusions based on a 1 minute trailer.

Edited by Nixoq
Removed unnecessary quotes
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

JetPhotos | Airliners.net
Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

16 hours ago, Shack95 said:

As for the „gamification“, I‘m normally not interested in missions etc. and I‘m sure that most of the time I will still use the sim the way I‘ve always done (flying airliners), but I have to say those animations do look nice. If the mission design is good as well I, can imagine that those missions will be a lot of fun. I hope the animated people will interact with the environment like in a proper game and aren‘t just scripted muppets like the ones we currently have in the sim. 

I don't really understand why missions are considered gamifcations when there is real world pilots flying the same kind of missions every day. It's a flight simulator, not an airliner simulator.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, BuboBubo said:

I don't really understand why missions are considered gamifcations when there is real world pilots flying the same kind of missions every day. It's a flight simulator, not an airliner simulator.

I agree with that on the principle. Now the devil is in the details. 

Lets take the firefighting jobs. I have CL-415 flying often over my house because I am in a high risk region for forest fires and have a lake at few km. How will be simulated the danger of scooping the water, the turbulence of extremely hot air over the ridge fires etc. Are we going to have arcade or simulation ? 

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

20 minutes ago, BuboBubo said:

I don’t consider missions gamification either. My post was an answer to another post and I quoted the term. The reason why I haven‘t done any missions yet is because I don‘t find the current missions very attractive and I‘m more into airliners, personally. That could change with MSFS24.

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

20 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I haven't seen an announcement from a  major developer about free upgrades.  Who said that ? 

So far,

PMDG

FSReborn

Fenix have indicated it will be business as usual

FSDT

Aerosoft

And there was one other but I can't remember their name

• Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Pyreegue

Have stated all their products will work, and be updated accordingly if required for 2024 with no added cost

Edited by Car147
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 1x 2tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial 4tb Nvme M2 Drive

24 minutes ago, Krakin said:

So far,

PMDG

FSReborn

FSDT

Aerosoft

Just Flight 

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

So far,

PMDG

FSReborn

FSDT

Aerosoft

They have said specifically that their products they sell for 2020 will be compatible and brought into 2024 completely free of any additional charges? I have not seen that stated, but in all the pages of discussion I may have missed it. Only Flightbeam seemed to be clear about this. PMDG's statement in particular -- a company I have no trust will not charge me again for their product -- said it was not affecting their development plans, not that their products will work in 2024 with no additional charge. I am sorry if this comes across as harsh or negative, but I felt nickeled and dimed too many times in the past by third-party developers looking for upgrade fees; for PMDG in particular paying again full price for the same aircraft with no upgrade path left a very bad taste in my mouth. Developers certainly have a right to make these charges, but they must also accept the feelings and attitudes that such practices engendered.

Edited by Cognita

Dan Scott

1 minute ago, Cognita said:

They have said specifically that their products they sell for 2020 will be compatible and brought into 2024 completely free of any additional charges? I have not seen that stated, but in all the pages of discussion I may have missed it. Only Flightbeam seemed to be clear about this. PMDG's statement in particular -- a company I have no trust will not charge me again for their product -- said it was not affecting their development plans, not that their products will work in 2024 with no additional charge. I am sorry if this comes across as harsh or negative, but I felt nickeled and dimed too many times in the past by third-party developers looking for upgrade fees; paying again full price for the same aircraft with no upgrade path left a very bad taste in my mouth. Developers certainly have a right to make these charges, but they must also accept the feelings and attitudes that such practices engendered.

They don't know the answer?

Look, if 2024 works out of the box, nobody is going to charge. Nobody charged from P3D v1 to v3, for example, because the sim architecture was virtually identical. Almost everyone charged for the 64 bit upgrade, because significant work is required.

Similar to MS only being able to comment on Marketplace content. They don't know the scope and how it will affect each product. It would be irresponsible to put any more detail out yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, mspencer said:

Look, if 2024 works out of the box, nobody is going to charge.

I think that is a fair assessment. 

Dan Scott

27 minutes ago, Cognita said:

They have said specifically that their products they sell for 2020 will be compatible and brought into 2024 completely free of any additional charges? I have not seen that stated, but in all the pages of discussion I may have missed it. Only Flightbeam seemed to be clear about this. PMDG's statement in particular -- a company I have no trust will not charge me again for their product -- said it was not affecting their development plans, not that their products will work in 2024 with no additional charge. I am sorry if this comes across as harsh or negative, but I felt nickeled and dimed too many times in the past by third-party developers looking for upgrade fees; for PMDG in particular paying again full price for the same aircraft with no upgrade path left a very bad taste in my mouth. Developers certainly have a right to make these charges, but they must also accept the feelings and attitudes that such practices engendered.

This answers your question:

It is PMDG's position that ensuring forward compatibility is a smart decision both for Microsoft and for PMDG, as it protects the customer investment in the hobby.

If you have to pay additional money to get your PMDG product working on 2024, your investment was not protected.

Edit: We can also add Flightbeam to the list of devs that will not be charging us.

https://www.flightbeam.net/post/msfs-2024-and-flightbeam?fbclid=IwAR3gFgoJW7Igt3tjNsHOkQR1JVA_uSTUO6iv4MIkXNLgXJsdZZFl87ltX4k

Edited by Krakin

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.