Sign in to follow this  
pmplayer

PMDG 739 - Is this realistic ?

25 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

An airline 737 first officer answered your question on the PMDG forum. 

Thank you, i take a look there !

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

It's the opposite to that.

Less thrust = longer climb.

Source: http://www.b737.org.uk/fmc.htm

So what ?  If i had used CLB normal i would be better ? ( less NM to 33000feet to stay by my example ? )

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, pmplayer said:

So what ?  If i had used CLB normal i would be better ? ( less NM to 33000feet to stay by my example ? )

cheers 😉

Yes. 'CLB normal' gives a better climb rate than CLB-1 or CLB-2 as there is more thrust available. This means you'll take fewer nautical miles across the ground to reach cruise altitude.

Just leave the N1 in 'Auto' on the N1 Limit page of the FMC:
http://www.b737.org.uk/images/fmc_n1limit.gif

Again, as pointed out on the PMDG forums, atmospheric conditions will play a large role in how long it takes to reach cruise.
If you experience warmer temperatures, it means the air is less dense. Therefore, climb performance is degraded, meaning it takes more nautical miles to reach FL330.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

13 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Yes. 'CLB normal' gives a better climb rate than CLB-1 or CLB-2 as there is more thrust available. This means you'll take fewer nautical miles across the ground to reach cruise altitude.

Just leave the N1 in 'Auto' on the N1 Limit page of the FMC:
http://www.b737.org.uk/images/fmc_n1limit.gif

Again, as pointed out on the PMDG forums, atmospheric conditions will play a large role in how long it takes to reach cruise.
If you experience warmer temperatures, it means the air is less dense. Therefore, climb performance is degraded, meaning it takes more nautical miles to reach FL330.

OK, got it now, Thanks !

You never stop learning..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Yes, the degree to which you reduce your takeoff power setting will determine if you get a reduced climb setting or not.  If you do and you don't want it btw, you can delete in on the N1 page... just line select "delete" and drop it on the climb 1 or climb 2 setting.  I think that works in the PMDG, but that's how we do it in reality if asked to expedite a climb, for instance.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

6 hours ago, pmplayer said:

This was the simbrief setting..

And i think it is not to high - what is usual be used ?

cheers 😉

Simbrief has no cost index databank or something, it will use the scheduled block time and create the cost index out of it with a simple calculation. Try it yourself: The lower the scheduled block time you set, the higher the cost index.

Common 737 cost indices (yep, that's the plural) these days with the high fuel prices are between 0 and 20, with most operatores being closer to 10 than to 20. Even ten years ago they were maybe 35 at max for premium airlines.
However, if you doubt it's too high just take a look at the calculated climb speed in the FMC. It will have been about 320 kts; however the best rate of climb for the 737 is about 275 kts. Above that your climb rate will decrease and with a high TOW it will decrease significantly.

On 9/10/2023 at 1:21 PM, Bobsk8 said:

Might want to ask this on the PMDG 737 forum. They have a real 737 airline pilot there that can probably give you an answer.

I find the real 737 (and other)  pilots on here give more accurate and unbiased feedback than the PMDG forum generally. Obviously sometimes it’s the same people but there’s definitely some PMDG forum ‘experts’ overstating their expertise imho. 

Plus anything vaguely critical seems to get shouted (or just shut) down by the PMDG fans. . . even more than on here. 

Edited by g-liner

6 minutes ago, g-liner said:

I find the real 737 (and other)  pilots on here give more accurate and unbiased feedback than the PMDG forum generally. Obviously sometimes it’s the same people but there’s definitely some PMDG forum ‘experts’ overstating their expertise imho. 

Plus anything vaguely critical seems to get shouted (or just shut) down by the PMDG fans. . . even more than on here. 

There are several real 737 pilots on the PMDG forum that give very accurate information. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

34 minutes ago, g-liner said:

You right, sometimes I had the same problems with the PMDG forum concerning the DC-6, now considered almost an abandonware. But the official moderators listen to the users and I have a good opinion about them, the problem comes from the supposed real pilots and experts (word not allowed, is the real definition), where you get shouted or just shut if you have a different opinion. Also, you are obliged to write down your real name there and I refused to do it deleting my sign because google is indexing and I don't want my real identity associated with flight simulators.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

55 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

You right, sometimes I had the same problems with the PMDG forum concerning the DC-6, now considered almost an abandonware. But the official moderators listen to the users and I have a good opinion about them, the problem comes from the supposed real pilots and experts (word not allowed, is the real definition), where you get shouted or just shut if you have a different opinion. Also, you are obliged to write down your real name there and I refused to do it deleting my sign because google is indexing and I don't want my real identity associated with flight simulators.

I find that using Simbrief is helpful for casual types like myself but I often have to scratch in a great deal into the fmc to get it to my liking. Step climbs, for example, are easier on simbrief to load in. But my downfall seems to be trying to figure out the weights etc before loading everything up.

As far as the "other" forum? I have no experienced that but then again I usually just go here for information or to help others.

And yeah....the DC-6 needs some work. It was my absolute favorite plane until several updates ago.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---