Sign in to follow this  
Mike A

College graduate cries about her first 9 to 5 job

Welcome to the real world, kid:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/viral-tiktok-college-graduate-9-to-5-job-b2435504.html

I was shocked on my first day at my first 9 to 5 job as well.  After the first day, I came home planning to watch Monday Night Football, which started at 6:00 PM.  I was home in time to watch the beginning, but by 6:15, I was asleep in the armchair 🤣😆🤪.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My first job was a summer job when I was 15 years old back in 1986 loading trucks in a factory. I had to get up 7:00 am and ride my bike for 40 minutes to get to work along a 2 lane highway with trucks going 55 MPH inches away from my shoulder, the shift was 8 to 5 Monday to Friday but I did over time most evenings to get the trucks loaded. It was hard backbreaking work but to be honest it was 8 weeks of work over summer that made enough money so I wouldn't have to work a part time minimum wage job during the school year, so it was worth it. 

I did that job every summer through high school, when I graduated high school they hired me full time and trained me as a welder, then moved me into the Machine Shop and later into CAD//CAM. I left that company when I was 29 years old and learned a lifetime of skills, looking back it was tough work especially by todays standards, I wouldn't let my 15 year old kid ride a bike down a highway to work at 7:30 am these days but that is just what you did back then. Different times

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 3

Matthew Kane

It's funny how this phenomenon of entitled 20 and 30 somethings exists not only in the USA, but in other countries as well.

I guess it's a "western civilization" thing.

No worries, though, as there are literally millions of people from poorer countries who are risking their lives to come here for these jobs that the younger folks refuse to do.

Dave

• Like 3

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

My first job out of college was 7:30 to 4:30. It was nice getting a jump on traffic. After that it was 8:00 to 5:00 if you could get away.

Bill W

She's young and pretty and now she is in the public conscience so she's got it made. There is no such thing a bad publicity! She'll be making hundreds of thousands in a few weeks as an influencer. I'd be willing to beat she contrived the whole thing to that end.

• Upvote 1

The second shock I got at my first 9 to 5 adult job was when I got my first paycheck and saw the various deductions from my pay. That’s when my sense of entitlement kicked in & I thought “Jeeze, at the very least they should reimburse me for my streetcar fare to & from work” 🤬

• Like 1

She's lazy. Should be fired! Few people love their work. That's life. Give the job to someone who appreciates it, and therefore puts in a good effort.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

grouchy old avsimers.  reminds me of "yells at clouds" grandpa from the simpsons.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Let's all say "Ah" for Brielle :-((

Here we go, "I lived in a shoe box and worked as a five-year-old child for 23 hours a day at the coal face",
"that's nothing, we couldn't afford a shoe box" etc etc.
Yes, she has had a shock and yes, she has a TikTok to whine about it and yes, a million
people have read her whine.
She's complaining about her lifestyle change, not the work itself.
It's not really news.
There are, and always will, be people better and worse off than others and saying so
may make you feel good about yourself, but it does not address any of her points.
On the subject of "entitled people", by no means is that limited to or exclusive to "20 and 30 somethings".
It persists well into old age and is caused by a characteristic of the person in question.
There are plenty of hard working 
"20 and 30 somethings" who never complain about their lot.
They just don't post about it on TikTok, or anywhere else.

My first job after college was working for my family's painting and decorating company. 11 years later I'm still doing it and still enjoying it. Everyone has to work, so either find something you like doing or life isn't going to be much fun for the next 60 plus years.

• Like 3

To be honest, I agree with her. I am so glad that I have never had to commute to work. I get home at 4:45 PM each day, and treasure those five hours in the evening before I go to bed.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png