Sign in to follow this  
Bubbapat

Fixed Drone in Outside View

I need some help with MSFS 2020 Drone Camera set up for outside front view. I have a Home Built Cockpit with 3 TV's as my Front, Right side and Left side views. I don't need or want a virtual cockpit. When I attempt to set up the drone camera in the front of the aircraft ( PMDG-737) the plane and the drone camera are not fixed but go in different directions. I've tried setting the drone to "Locked" but it doesn't seem to work. Can anyone assist in this matter? I'm using MSFS 2020 Steam X-Box version.  ( In FSX, in the "Cockpit" view, you were able to toggle the W key and it would remove the cockpit and just show the outside front view. That's what I am trying to achieve. Thank you so much for any assistance you can offer!

I don't think it can be done with the drone (showcase) view. As you know there are 2 kinds of commands to  zoom in. One zooms both the cockpit and the outside scenery (e.g. the default mouse wheel zoom) and the other just zooms the cockpit but not the scenery (default forward is right alt up) which is "Translate Cockpit View Forward".

I put it on a convenient controller button, but could be reassigned to a more sensible keyboard key.

If PMDG has limited the amount of forward translation, then that was their decision to cripple the product. Some planes do so limit. Some don't.

There is a file somewhere to change the default cockpit position to be way forward in front of plane. But what you want to do instead is find a file somewhere to edit a single line to change the forward translation limit to be in front of the plane. But such a thing may not exist.

I notice that for some planes translation forward to be in front of the plane can be done (right alt up), others planes not. So, there's probably just a line in a file somewhere that could be edited to make it possible.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

You cannot use the drone camera as a viewpoint when flying in a home cockpit.  For the simple reason that all controls of the aircraft are deactivated while you're in drone view.  

Take off, fly into the air, then go to drone and try to control your plane!  There's nothing.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

10 hours ago, JYW said:

For the simple reason that all controls of the aircraft are deactivated while you're in drone view.  

When in drone view there is a keypress that allows you to toggle between allowing full control of the aircraft as if you were in the cockpit or moving the drone. I think that this is assigned by default to a key but I remapped mine so long ago I can’t remember what that original key was!

I quite often toggle between the 2 modes so I can move the drone and then return to controlling the aircraft without leaving drone view. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boez said:

When in drone view there is a keypress that allows you to toggle between allowing full control of the aircraft as if you were in the cockpit or moving the drone. I think that this is assigned by default to a key but I remapped mine so long ago I can’t remember what that original key was!

The default keyboard command is "C".

14 hours ago, boez said:

I quite often toggle between the 2 modes so I can move the drone and then return to controlling the aircraft without leaving drone view. 

Ah, thanks. I didn't know this.

I've always just switched to Drone mode and noticed I can't control my plane 😄

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)