48 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

Went thru a bunch of testing & experimentation on this problem.

In Task Manager - do you see AutoFPS as an App or Background Process?  My problems with no program output to the screen occurs when AutoFPS runs in the background, which by Windows definition, means there is no screen interaction.

I do not understand how AutoFPS ends up in the background.  It happens (AutoFPS moves from an App in the foreground to a background process)  on my system when the MSFS ends abnormally or if I end AutoFPS by closing it or clicking the x in the top left corner of AutoFPS.

The ONLY way I have found to move AutoFPS back to the foreground (make it become an App again) is to kill the background process, use the AutoFPS installer to remove the app and then use the autoinstaller to reinstall AutoFPS.

I have also found that starting MSFS2020_AutoFPS as an administrator process makes it less likely to move to the background.

It is all a bit strange!  But, the app works perfectly and I use it every time I fly.

Kill the Process - I found that I had to explicitly kill (a windows command) the background process BEFORE I did the REMOVE using the autoinstaller.

In an Administrator level DOS Command window: C:\Windows\System32>TASKKILL /IM "MSFS2020_AUTOFPS.EXE" /F

It's running as a background process.  When I do the reinstall it works fine again but eventually stops again.  When I do multiple flights I often have to kill it in task manager and problems usually start again after.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

On 5/15/2024 at 4:38 PM, GSalden said:

Remove, restart your pc and reinstall the App

thanks that fixed it. All is smooth again 😄

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

34 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

It's running as a background process.  When I do the reinstall it works fine again but eventually stops again.  When I do multiple flights I often have to kill it in task manager and problems usually start again after.

What I found is that it will always run as a background process once it gets moved to the background.  Killing it with task manager does not prevent that.  Using the taskkill command will prevent it from running in the background the next time you start it.

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

On 5/20/2024 at 10:22 AM, TacomaSailor said:

What I found is that it will always run as a background process once it gets moved to the background.  Killing it with task manager does not prevent that.  Using the taskkill command will prevent it from running in the background the next time you start it.

So far that seems to be doing the trick.  Thanks!

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

Just joined up to put my two pence in.  It's a wonderful app [thank you] but here's the thing...

When I'm having issues with stuttering and I start the app, for a brief few moments the stutters completely vanish (with no apparent degradation of graphics quality either) - only to return again a few moments later.  What's happening in those few moments as the app 'hooks in' to MSFS and effectively stops the stuttering?  Could that be worked on and expanded perhaps?  It does the job but the smoothness doesn't last!

While I'm here, I read that the app needs to be started before MSFS - is there a specific reason for that?  

😎  

1 hour ago, ClevaTreva said:

I read that the app needs to be started before MSFS

it SHOULD start automatically during MSFS IF you selected auto start during install. Just run install again and select that to get auto start.

In my experience it can be started and restarted at any time but I'm happy with it there always so auto for me. 

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png