Sign in to follow this  
zetato

Ryzen7 7800x3d temperature on MSFS 2020

Good day,

I just assembled a new pc dedicated to MSFS2020, based on AMD Ryzen7 7800X3d on Gigabyte X670 MB, Nvidia Geforce 4060Ti 16GB, 64 GB DDR5-6000 cl30, liquid cooled with Endorfy F280 kit.

On Cinebench 24 the benchmarch stressing the multicore at 100% and the temperature reach a max level of 82°C, in MSFS 2020 with PMDG B737NG over Italy (but I think is not relevant), sometimes I see spikes up to 85°C or a little more with a relative low load on the CPU's.

I tried to set the PBO at -20 but the sim crashed at a certain point, than I tried a little undervoltage, but the pc doesn't start with -0.01 V.

At the moment I'm using maximum settings for the graphic on DX12 and Frame Generation,

I read is not a problem if there are some spikes, seems to be normal for this CPU and apart from this spikes, the temps are between 58 and 70°C (on MSFS).

Just want to know your experiences with this type of CPU.

Thanks!

Mauro

I have the same CPU and also experienced temp spikes up to 83 deg. However, this was only over Western Europe. Anywhere else in the world the temps are fine.

Other simmers are also experiencing this. What has been suggested and helps in some cases is to remove/uninstall WU 4, WU6 and European city (EC ) updates. Also turn photogrammetry OFF. Lastly, uninstall any add on airports in the Community folder, replace them one by one and test after each one reinstalled. In my case, the guilty culprit was the Orbx addon airport of Amsterdam - latest. I uninstalled it and now no longer have high spikes over Western Europe. Test over other areas in the world like US, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, New Zealand - you should fines temps to be ok. I am now experiencing temps between 48 and 62. Hope this helps in some way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cinebench won't use all the capabilities of a CPU. Some areas of the CPU are simply asleep whereas with games and video encoders and the such, other areas will be utilized which might demand more power even at lower % of use thus causing more heat.

It all depends on the applications and how they use resources. Also, that CPU at 85 is perfectly normal, they will heat up as much as possible in order to perform better - AMD has stated this was going to happen when they released the AM5 platform, it's just normal. My 7600X goes to 95 when pushed to the maximum, it's how it works.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Has been a problem for other simmers too - I don't believe it is your CPU. As already suggested, try flying in another part of the world.

• Like 1

@TrevorS Thank you. I'll first try to fly in another continent and see what happens, then, in case i'll follow your suggestions.

@Nuno Pinto, than you for the clarifications.

Mauro

17 hours ago, TrevorS said:

Has been a problem for other simmers too - I don't believe it is your CPU. As already suggested, try flying in another part of the world.

Hi, 

you were right! I tried a Flight from KLAX with the same settings and the temps never gon over 70° C.

Anyway here in Italy weather starting to get hot, so from now I'll start to use an air conditioner, and anyway I checked and the spikes flying over 80° in Europe are little and fast, so I don't think they are a problem.

Thank all for helping me.

Have a good day!

Mauro

Hey everyone,

I've been following the threads related to this issue for the last few weeks since i have the same problem with my new system.

My 7800x3d is just spiking up to 85C when flying over central europe once i'm above 18000ft. On the ground everything is normal, even on more demanding scenery. My performance stays stable also, while my cooler is just going from 20% to 100% constantly.

Interestingly enough, removing WU4, WU6 and all the european CU's didn't fix the problem for me, so I'm currently re-installing those. I have, however, ORBX Amsterdam installed, so will try to remove that and report back.

My new PC is about 3 weeks old, and configured/assembled by a professional builder. In those 3 weeks I've mostly been flying over Portugal, Spain, France, UK, Ireland, Australia, US, Canada, without any problems or CPU spikes. It only started once I did a flight from EDDL to LIRF... so there is definitely something wrong with the data and not my hardware.

Are there any more reports on how photogrammetry is linked to this?

Would love to know more.

Cheers,

Alex

• Like 1

MSFS2020 SU15 | Hardware: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Super - 32GB DDR5-6000 CL36, Corsair Vengeance - ASUS TUF GAMING X670E - 2TB WD Black SN770 x2 - Deepcool Assassin IV Black

Just as information I didn't modify anithing but starting to use air conditioning (at 27°C) and increased the cooling fan curves (licquid cooling and case fans) and , and yesterday I performed a flight from LIBD to LGAL at FL300, without problems with max 70°C on CPU, and I was using also LittleNavMap, Jeppesen charts, Simbrief and some other utilities. I suppose that Greece is probably out of the problematic area, but I'll check in the next days.

• Like 1

So reporting back after another day of flying and testing.

I've uninstalled FlyTampa EHAM and a handful of freeware scenery in europe, while also adjusting my cpu fan curve a little bit. After that I just did some flights in different areas. 

LEMD-LPPR and LPPR-LEVC (PMDG737) with all WU's and CU's installed, PG ON --> no CPU spikes or revving of the fans, super smooth and silent. CPU didn't even break a sweat at around 20-30%, while the GPU was literally chilling at around 65%.

YBCG-YSSY --> same, no problems at all

EDDK-LIPE (Fenix) --> definitely some CPU spiking happing again just after takeoff and intensify more the higher I climb, also since altering my CPU fan curve, it's way less noticeable in terms of volume. Then again I definitely see an increase in temps running HWInfo64 for about 30 minutes. Here are my temps 30 Mins after departure out of EDDK:

CPU Package: Min. 55C / Max. 87C / Average 69C

CPU: Min. 44C / Max. 75C / Average 58C

Vcore: Min. 0.976V / Max. 1.152V / Average 1.107V

Somehow I still think thats a little bit to hot, especially since it's only the CPU that is spiking. Everything else is stable and well within limits.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, and maybe compare if you have the same CPU?

Thanks again,

Alex

MSFS2020 SU15 | Hardware: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Super - 32GB DDR5-6000 CL36, Corsair Vengeance - ASUS TUF GAMING X670E - 2TB WD Black SN770 x2 - Deepcool Assassin IV Black

Posted (edited)

@AlexN I'm using the same CPU and yesterday flew on IVAO net from LFMN to LFST with stock updated scenery and PMDG B737-800, Coretemp registered a max spike of temp at 85°C, the medium temp was around 60°C, so I think it's normal at the present state.
As I said in the previous message, flying outside the center Europe does not cause hi temp spikes, in US or even in Greece I never gone over 70°C.
Hope Asobo will find a way to reduce the need of this hi computation requirement when flying at cruise level, It seems to me that the large field of wiew forces the cpu to calculate something we really don't need at that altitude.

Mauro

Edited by zetato
  • Like 1