Posted (edited)

Black borders should *never* be encoded into the video - it's easy for every video player software to add them when needed, but comparably hard to crop them automatically when necessary for proper full-screen scaling.

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

4 minutes ago, pstrub said:

Black borders should *never* be encoded into the video - it's easy for every video player software to add them when needed, but comparably hard to crop them automatically when necessary for proper full-screen scaling.

Exactly, it's literally a waste of space and streaming bandwidth although to be fair solid black never broke anyone's Internet. 

• Upvote 1

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Exactly, it's literally a waste of space and streaming bandwidth although to be fair solid black never broke anyone's Internet. 

I don't think the bandwidth is a problem, as solid black can be compressed really well with the typical codecs, but it complicates the handling of the aspect ratio... 

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

8 minutes ago, pstrub said:

I don't think the bandwidth is a problem, as solid black can be compressed really well with the typical codecs, but it complicates the handling of the aspect ratio... 

Yeh I already said that with the 2nd part of the sentence! Sarcastically maybe but still.. 

Yes as someone who spent 20 years editing and rendering videos for good ol dvd sd format when widescreen first came along commercially I definitely agree with and understand you. 

Black bars... 🙄

• Like 1

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

1 hour ago, pstrub said:

Microsoft did the same with the City Update 8 trailer 🤦‍♂️

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 

Posted (edited)

Showcase 3: Configuration and options: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-2024-products-discussion/pmdg-777/general-discussion-aa/302715-pmdg-777-showcase-3-configuration-and-options

One thing that sets PMDG aircraft apart from others is how they are configured. These configurations follow the Boeing options when you order an aircraft but also include tweaks that airlines apply. You can configure your Cathey Pacific B-KQU as it should be and have a different flight deck on the KLM PH-BVF. As with all options, these are saved per aircraft, so they do not apply to all your 777's.
The options shown here are not complete; I left out the 18 pages with color options, etc., but you get the idea

Showcase 4: Flight control and flight surfaces: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-2024-products-discussion/pmdg-777/general-discussion-aa/302766-pmdg-777-showcase-4-flight-control-and-flight-surfaces

Flight Controls and Flight Surfaces

Since the very first PMDG aircraft, much attention has been given to how the flight controls interact with the flight surfaces. With active pilots on our staff, this is tweaked endlessly until it has the correct 'feel.' This is not always what flight simmers are used to, by the way. But it does end up with very deeply simulated systems!

• Electric Trim operates at realistic speeds. To those used to simulated airplanes, it may feel slower than you are used to, but it is highly realistic. We have accurately modeled the trim speed rates, facilitating precise manual flight stability. The trim rate (units per second) varies based on phase and configuration of flight, for example, and will be even lower when flaps are up. The Electric/FCC trim rate is modeled accurately to the millisecond.
  • Flap deployment speed is affected by the system's operating mode. When the trailing edge flaps are moved using the ALTERNATE or SECONDARY flap system, they are extremely slow. In some cases, you lose access to the full range!
  • Aerodynamic forces moderate rudder control inputs. Full rudder deflection in even moderate IAS is thus impossible. This Q-System model facilitates yaw stability and prevents inadvertent yaw-induced roll. Nevertheless, rudder authority is sufficient for runway alignment (de-crab) or a sideslip (wing low) approach, even at high crosswinds.
  • When you cross Mach 0.615, the trim actively changes the elevator neutral shift point.
  • The VOR roll mode comprises four sub-modes. VOR capturing requires beam deviation of less than 22 degrees and at least 3 seconds elapsed since the last OBS change. Capture will occur instantly when within 0.5 degrees deviation or 2 degrees for at least 10 seconds or through FCC calculations of the capture point. The OSS mode is triggered by measuring the beam divergence rate, and in cases where DME is collocated with the VOR station, a combination of altitude and distance. The OSS mode can last up to 23 seconds and ensures stable crossing or turning over the VOR station or in the "confusion zone."
  • The inboard flaperons on each wing and their primary and secondary control law functions are fully modeled. The flaperons will become depressurized during the commencement of the takeoff roll and sag down initially, which allows the aircraft slipstream to float the flaperons up as the airplane accelerates. Once the logic allows the flaperon to return to normal operation, it will respond to control inputs again during the takeoff roll. This is done to improve the life-wear of the actuators so that they are not subjected to unusual stress during takeoff thrust increases.

• The ailerons on the 777 are “floating ailerons” in that they change position based on the phase of flight and configuration of the wing flaps. This improves aileron effectiveness and reduces wing flexing during various phases of flight.
  • Overspeed protection logic for wing flaps is fully modeled.
  • The correct primary, secondary, and reversionary control characteristics of the 777 flight control systems are fully modeled, along with the different feel of the controls as they degrade to lower modes.
  • All flight control modes fully model the air and ground spoiler logic.
  • The entire AFDS system is modeled in detail, including the C*U logic that allows the fly-by-wire system to closely mimic the feel of a conventional airplane while washing out the bad habits of older-generation airliners, such as pitch-coupling related to thrust changes. This system makes the 777 such a marvelously stable platform to fly, as the fly-by-wire logic helps improve both speed and pitch stability while retaining the conventional pilot input-response mechanism common to nearly all other aircraft that a pilot may have flown.
  • The ground spoilers only deploy partially until the aircraft deck angle is reduced, at which point they are allowed to deploy fully. You can see this behavior in many YouTube videos and on your PMDG 777.
  • The horizontal stabilizer flexes with air disturbance due to engine exhaust and when spoilers are extended in flight or on the ground.
  • The rudder moves in windy conditions when hydraulic power is off.
Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

That black box is clearly just an editor who forgot to change the project output resolution. Seen a completely identical result when you forget that in Davinci Resolve.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Their UFT showcase was quite underwhelming. They literally after all these months added service vehicle app and a vertical profile. Their UFT still lags way behind everyone else including the freeware FBW. Typical PMDG.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

1 minute ago, B777ER said:

Their UFT still lags way behind everyone else

In what ways?

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

In what ways?

Off the top of my head what others have that PMDG lacks are:

GSX intergration

Pushback functionality 

Airrframe specific options

Realtime flight status progress 

METAR look up

Vatsim ATIS 

Failures app

Checklists

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Off the top of my head what others have that PMDG lacks are:

GSX intergration

Pushback functionality 

Airrframe specific options

Realtime flight status progress 

METAR look up

Vatsim ATIS 

Failures app

Checklists

GSX intergration- integrated already, GSX automatically opens/closes appropriate doors etc but yes, have to select the options through the GSX menu.  Is this really an issue? 

Pushback functionality -  Sort of irrelevant if using GSX but it's in the FMC

Airrframe specific options- Such as?  The airframe specific options are tied to the airframe and livery.  

Realtime flight status progress -  PMDG includes a real time moving map?

METAR look up-  Also already available in the 737 EFB both simple and Metar

Vatsim ATIS 

Failures app

Checklists-  Included in the 777

Although none of this is as important as the black bars in the promo video... 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

25 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Their UFT showcase was quite underwhelming. They literally after all these months added service vehicle app and a vertical profile. Their UFT still lags way behind everyone else including the freeware FBW. Typical PMDG.

The FBW is one of the best EFBs I've seen, both in terms of functionality and design. Puts PMDG to shame actually. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, psolk said:

GSX intergration- integrated already, GSX automatically opens/closes appropriate doors etc but yes, have to select the options through the GSX menu.  Is this really an issue? 

Pushback functionality -  Sort of irrelevant if using GSX but it's in the FMC

Airrframe specific options- Such as?  The airframe specific options are tied to the airframe and livery.  

Realtime flight status progress -  PMDG includes a real time moving map?

METAR look up-  Also already available in the 737 EFB both simple and Metar

Vatsim ATIS 

Failures app

Checklists-  Included in the 777

Although none of this is as important as the black bars in the promo video... 

I get it, you love PMDG and they can do no wrong. It’s okay.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

2 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I get it, you love PMDG and they can do no wrong. It’s okay.

Because I pointed out some inaccuracies in what you said that means I love PMDG and they can do nothing wrong?  That's an interesting 1+1=2.... 

• Like 5

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, psolk said:

Because I pointed out some inaccuracies in what you said that means I love PMDG and they can do nothing wrong?  That's an interesting 1+1=2.... 

When one looks without emotion at the EFB of Fenix or FBW and compare those two to PMDG offering, there is no comparison. PMDG lags way behind. I know there are other EFB out for GA planes from 3PD’s that may or may not be better as I don’t have those. I am comparing the ones I do have. I can say from my experiences, Fenix and FBW are way way better. The old FSL one from P3D was way better as well. What you wrote about is excuses for stuff that is not in their UFT. I am talking about an apples to apples comparison.

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 1

Eric