I just checked some streams other than the one I watched live yesterday to try and check the sounds and I don't understand how people think it's possible to get to any accurate conclusion.

Most of the streamers just talked over the important bits like engine start or setting take thrust or kept switching between interior and exterior throughout. The bits where they didn't talk over anything were mostly rather quiet in contrast to the volume of their voice. YouTube also compresses sound, not just video. Meanwhile, several streamers actually said the sounds are really good, and I'm sure that is because they were hearing the sounds properly and coming out of their audio devices rather than through a live stream with manipulated audio settings to improve the clarity of the streamer's voice.

About all I can reasonably conclude is that the sounds may not be the best you've heard, but I'm not getting the impression that they're below average at all or need a replacement (which are sometimes overdone and too dramatic).

The other thing is that I believe I can say with certainty that not a single person curious about the sounds actually has any clue what the soundscape on a 777 flight deck is like (videos don't count; they've been recorded with devices, edited and compressed).

This reminds me a bit of when developers started to simulate the wind at high speeds drowning out the engine sounds, and simmers were wondering where the engine sound went, completely unaware of this being realistic.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

JetPhotos | Airliners.net
Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

58 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

lOksZk.jpg

The man, the myth, the legend 👍. Thank you, Steve, this looks stunning 😳👍🍻!

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thepilot said:

Anyone else feel rather disappointed by the previews so far?

No

And regarding the sounds: engine startup sounds exactly like real life. But I’ve only flown in the 777-300ER 4 times. 

Edited by MySound
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Have many more...but don't want to flood the post.  I'll will have all these paints completed and uploaded as soon as I can.  Some will be ready on release, others as soon as I can get them finalized and uploaded.

Beautiful work - up to your very high standards, as usual.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

46 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I thought the PMDG 777 sounds were poor in p3d.

Agree, especially the engine sounds from the internal wing view in the -200ER expansion.

That being said:

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

the sound of the climate control air blowing into the cockpit overpowers the sound of the engines. You barely hear them. It is so sad that the ignorance of the flight sim community is demanding inaccuracies from the devs.

There is an unrealistic expectation by a lot of simmers that the sounds in the cockpit must sound the same/very similar to those they've experienced in the cabin. Something every airliner developer appears to be questioned over.

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised that the 777 has higher rates for smoother animation and LNAV seems to be better than in the 737.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

29 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

There is an unrealistic expectation by a lot of simmers that the sounds in the cockpit must sound the same/very similar to those they've experienced in the cabin. Something every airliner developer appears to be questioned over.

And you now put all of this to the test with the cabins and the capabilties of the MSFS soundsystem. When moving through Cabin from the Flightdeck you can hear how the engine sounds change. Already in the Fenix A320 but in the 777 as well.

16 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

This reminds me a bit of when developers started to simulate the wind at high speeds drowning out the engine sounds, and simmers were wondering where the engine sound went, completely unaware of this being realistic.

Just my 2 cents.

Quite agree with your two cents. The B727 is an extreme example but if you were sitting in the last row on our -100, you didn't need to walk off the aircraft at the end of the flight. You just had to stand up and you would vibrate yourself down the aft airstairs and across the tarmac after 5 hours of sitting next to a JT8D on max noise! But on the flight deck the major sounds were external airflow on the airframe, air con and an underlying humming vibration which was carried through the airframe from the rear mounted engines. In descent the flight deck got quite quiet when speed got down below 250 (airflow and engine vibration reduced) and before the aircraft was dirtied up. The when power came on during approach speeds, engine noise did become low level audible but airflow noise around the nose landing gear became more of a player too.  

I have flown in Row 2 of  business class on the B777 (only once unfortunately) and it is very quiet up there. If you add a bit more distance, a heavy door and some thick glass and wing mounted engines and I would think the flight deck of T7 would be a very quite place to be with just airframe airflow and air con as required. If only a T7 pilot could tell us!  I imagine the B747 flight deck would also be very quiet? 

So yeah we ask for realism and we get it. But some people don't know what realism actually is. Not their fault since Hollywood completely screws these sort of things up for dramatic purposes and some people just don't have a lot of actual flying experience to balance that against.  

Cheers

Terry 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

3 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Not their fault since Hollywood completely screws these sort of things up for dramatic purposes

I remember watching some TV programmes and straight-to-video films that used this sound effect for their scenes in the cockpit 😄

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af8hkMcrNIE

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

FYI, V1-Simulations is streaming the 777 today. 

• Like 2

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

FYI, V1-Simulations is streaming the 777 today. 

This will be good.  IMO he is the very best of the group.  

I realize there are many on here who would prefer the sounds be exactly like in a real cockpit.  I'm not necessarily one of those.  Using a home  flight sim by definition means we lack much of the tactile feedback of a real aircraft.  It's the reason I like switch clicks.  In a real aircraft with wind/engines/cooling fans/gyro's etc they are not heard as clearly.  But having the click in a home sim makes the experience more convincing.  That's why I prefer sound mods where I can hear the MD-80 engines.  Unrealistic.  Yes.  But having those sounds makes up from the other limitations of a home sim.  Luckily we will eventually likely have a choice between another supplemental engine payware package.  Choice is a good thing.  Overall I'm excited to get the 777.  It may not be the PMDG 744 I'm really holding out for, but it's a step in the right direction.  

• Like 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Posted (edited)

V1 is live now ... something definitely seemed off about the engine sounds from the in-cabin wing view position and also outside. A330 Driver's stream sounded much better I thought. V1 does say he has a build that is older and not a release candidate driver (he has not updated to latest drivers given to streamers apparently). Hoping this is a sound bug/issue that's already fixed.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

If someone was lucky enough to invited into the cockpit of a real 777 in flight, their first impression would be that the real plane has the sound all wrong and the instrument layout looks 'weird'. They would be disappointed at how Boeing messed it up so badly.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, micstatic said:

That's why I prefer sound mods where I can hear the MD-80 engines.  Unrealistic.  Yes.  But having those sounds makes up from the other limitations of a home sim. 

This is a fair point which is why I'm relaxed about the whole sound thing and will prob buy a sound mod further down the line if I feel the need to, but again, until I have those sounds in my own ears then I'll reserve judgement.

• Like 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

Looks like V1 is giving the plane high marks.  That's nice to see!

• Like 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Looks like Blackbox711 has it. 

• Like 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro