HiFlyer

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 Development Update - Live

10 hours ago, kholt said:

I’m a bit new to MSFS, trying slowly to transition from P3D.  What is the advantage of having the community folder on a separate drive?  I have two very large NVMe drives, with plenty of space to put anything anywhere I want.  Is it a performance issue?  I’d love to see the app load faster if it helps with that.  It’s ridiculously slow now.

There really is no advantage, except easy access. IIRC, for the Store version when you install MSFS it will ask where to create the MSFS root folder (which holds the Official and Community folders).
A fast Nvme helps to reduce loading times

The core files (a few GB's) are installed seperately from the rest. You will be asked where to put those, I think these usually placed in C:\Games\Xbox\Flight Simulator\ or something like that. These contain the executable and the most basic files to get the thing started.

After launching MSFS for the first time, it will ask you where to install the rest of the sim. That's the bulk of the data, including all the default scenery and aircraft. IMO it is best to choose a short path to minimize issues with long path names. I chose D:\MSFS.

Whether you place your addons in the Community folder under D:\MSFS\Community or somewhere else and link them using Addon Linker is up to you. Both work fine. Addon Linker gives you the opportuny to link only the files you need, e.g. addons in a specific region or only certain aircraft. The advantage is that MSFS has fewer addons to load which reduces load times and there is less change of conflicting scenery files.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

When I installed the Steam version I was asked where the community folder should go, so I chose an external drive. I didn't manually create it.

Maybe this is unique to the Steam version?

I think not. My Official and Community folder are on a different drive than the main MSFS program is. I did this from install. MS Store version here.

MS Store and Steam versions are identical when it comes to installing in the sim.

Both get the option where to set where you want to download everything.

Edited by Tuskin38