kmaultsby18

Need Help with Monitor setup MSFS 2020 & 2024

Hello everyone, It has been almost fifteen years when the last time I used MSFS.  I about to get back into it and need a little help or suggestions monitor setup. I have purchase the FV12 - Dual Screen Dual Encoder Touch Panel Kit from Flight Velocity which will be sitting on top of my Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle.  This is my problem the two Dell monitors will be too low because of the dual touch screen displays from Flight Velocity and I have no way to adjust them higher.  My idea is to remove the two 27-inch monitors and purchase one 32 inch monitor.  I am on a budget but is willing to pay a little more for performance.

Do I need a 4K monitor?  Please give me recommendations.

Thank you.

The following is my current setup.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz Memory 32 GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2070 (Will be upgrading to a RTX 4070)

Honeycomb Alpha Flight Simulator Yoke (Will be Purchasing the Honeycomb Bravo)

Two 27 inch Dell Ultra monitors which I have had for awhile maybe over five years. Display Resolution 2560 x 1440 Refresh rate set at 59.951 Hz

Track IR-5 for head tracking.

1 hour ago, kmaultsby18 said:

I have no way to adjust them higher.

Cheapest option would be a couple of old phonebooks or stacks of paper. People have used these for ages to lift their monitors.

A dual monitorarm might also do the trick. If you are on a budget I would save the money for a cpu (or better a platform) upgrade since chances are that the 4090 you are going to get will just be waiting for the cpu; MSFS performance is still mostly about the cpu.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

@kmaultsby18,

You should also upgrade your cpu. A 9900K will be the bottleneck when using a 4070.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Long quoted post removed.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

agree with the others, you will be disappointed if you spend that money on a 4070 and keep the 9900K.   If you upgrade only 1 thing it should be the cpu first, yes I know it means new motherboard, etc. etc but as was said, MSFS is highly cpu dependent, the 4070 will be effectively nerfed paired with a 9900K.  9900K was a great cpu in its day but its day has passed.

I have my monitor on top of a homemade shelf/platform, and I have a small amp sitting under the shelf which drives some speakers.  The platform raises the monitor about 4 inches.  It's just some 2x4's cut down, with an old countertop sample-piece on top of the 2x4's.  Talk about jerry-rigged, but it's cheap and it works.  The countertop sample is from circa 1980 when my *parents* upgraded their house...but it still looks good, and I took it about 30 years ago and still use it as a monitor stand!

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

… and try to get the 4070Ti Super. A whole lot more power and VRAM than the vanilla 4070 for only a small extra $$$ outlay. But as others here say, the 9900K will hold you back. MSFS needs a top tier CPU far more than it needs a top tier GPU. As for monitors, I recently upgraded to a single 32 inch 4K Dell G3223Q with 1ms and 144 hz. Has both AMD Free Sync and NVidia G-Sync. Love it. I chose it as it was one of the lower priced options in this feature range.

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

53 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

As for monitors, I recently upgraded to a single 32 inch 4K Dell G3223Q with 1ms and 144 hz. Has both AMD Free Sync and NVidia G-Sync. Love it. I chose it as it was one of the lower priced options in this feature range.

Did the same, super happy. Not for HDR though, but I anyway do not like the HDR implementation of MSFS that much, so I am fine. Especially for the pricetag of the DELL.

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS