Posted (edited)

Hello, 
Interviews are starting and no one has asked what VR will look like in FS2024?

Will there be any improvements etc.. anything???

Is there anyone here who asked them about VR?

brds

Edited by Epgd
  • Like 2

FS2004 eh?  Pretty good sim 2 decades ago hehe

Being serious though, I'm sure it will be nicer than 2020 due to performance improvements

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The only thing confirmed is that 2024 will support Open XR and Steam VR. Really hoping they implement DFR!

Posted (edited)

1) where does this leave all the current WMR headsets. I am surprised nobody brought this up at the expo, no interviewer, nothing.

2) "The only thing confirmed is that 2024 will support Open XR and Steam VR"

could you link the source for this?

3) "stekusteku Dec 2023 

Setting in Pimax Play is for SteamVR.
Setting in PimaxXR is for OpenXR. MSFS is OpenXR application so only the setting in PimaxXR matters for MSFS.

The Foveated Rendering (no matter Fixed or Dynamic) FPS benefit in MSFS is small, up to 10%, incomparable to DCS (DCS benefits from Quad views, MSFS not).

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dfr-dynamic-foveated-rendering-double/623213

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

47 minutes ago, turbomax said:

1) where does this leave all the current WMR headsets. I am surprised nobody brought this up at the expo, no interviewer, nothing.

3) "stekusteku Dec 2023 

Setting in PimaxXR is for OpenXR. MSFS is OpenXR application so only the setting in PimaxXR matters for MSFS.

The Foveated Rendering (no matter Fixed or Dynamic) FPS benefit in MSFS is small, up to 10%, incomparable to DCS (DCS benefits from Quad views, MSFS not).

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dfr-dynamic-foveated-rendering-double/623213

SimHangar confirmed it at the Expo plus Helisimmer did last year. Read through all of his replies in the comments to the post below:

http://youtube.com/post/UgkxEV8AEALvIqvL42IZUQhMRuv_568uSbJt?si=5Qhgsw9qArec3PVo

50 minutes ago, turbomax said:

3) "stekusteku Dec 2023 

And Dynamic Foveated Rendering is not supported in 2020 thus Fixed Foveated Rendering only nets a 10% in FPS but is still meaningful if you’re going from 40 to then 44 FPS. 

VR is treated by Asobo as a platform, not as a feature.

All the testing is also done in VR, like it is on XBOX or XCloud

6 hours ago, turbomax said:

We're screwed and that has nothing to do with this Sim, it's not their fault, you'd only get a generic answer from Jorg along the lines of "it's out of our hands" or something and I wouldn't expect anything else.

Most WMR users should know their options by now, no denying it monumentality sucks.

As for VR in MSFS2024 I'll be amazed if they've added new core features, I'll just be happy if it works on a level par with the current Sim. If it has the same bugs then I'll ready my pitchfork for sure, history clearly shows they care very little for VR so my expectations are the lowest for this area than any other.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, MarcG said:

We're screwed and that has nothing to do with this Sim, it's not their fault, you'd only get a generic answer from Jorg along the lines of "it's out of our hands" or something and I wouldn't expect anything else.

Most WMR users should know their options by now, no denying it monumentality sucks.

As for VR in MSFS2024 I'll be amazed if they've added new core features, I'll just be happy if it works on a level par with the current Sim. If it has the same bugs then I'll ready my pitchfork for sure, history clearly shows they care very little for VR so my expectations are the lowest for this area than any other.

I totally understand. VR seems to be an afterthought for them and I’ve not heard anything that indicates we’ll get anything more than what we have not. So…not happy about it, but as long as 2024 supports VR similar to 2020 then I will accept it as a win. 

They will have to enable walkarounds with VR (which surely is super cool) so there they can't leave it as it is.

If they couldn't bother to fix that pesky shutdown bug, how on earth are they going to improve things?

No matter how many times they show us their VR headsets, the fact is that they show little support for VR. Not even the missing start button they managed to fix, even with all that time SU15 was delayed.......

• Upvote 1

WMR is a thing of the past. The last release of a WMR was the Reverb G2 if I'm not mistaken, and that was almost 4 years ago. It sucks that owners of a G2 have to switch to something else, but at some point your headset is going to be too old anyways. These devices don't have infinite life.

My brother had an Occulus Rift S that died a few weeks ago after 3 years of simulator usage. The lack of WMR headsets on the market didn't prevent him from buying a new and better headset to replace it. 

19 hours ago, turbomax said:

3) "stekusteku Dec 2023 

I thought OpenXR is going by way of the HP Reverb G2 in a few more months...😶

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Posted (edited)

I have downloaded the latest Win11 ISO image 23H2 from Microsoft which has WMR support still included in case I should ever accidentally upgrade to the next Windows version 24H2. what a strange move by Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11?ISO

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.