RichieFly

PMDG 777 Sounds

I was expecting to see a post concerning the sound scape provided with the new PMDG 777-300ER as there's been a murmur of discontent with the sounds heard here and there.  Since there isn't one (that I can see) I thought I'd start one.

My impression is that the sounds are very good, overall. There's a variety of little rattles and other subtle bits here and there. The hydraulic system's sounds are super. The ambiance in the cockpit seems really well done.

My only doubt has to do with engine sounds when in a external view. They seems kinda thin and lacking in the lower frequency end of things; not much roar.

Again, I think they did a super job on the audio front and with the aircraft in general. Absolutely my favorite MSFS aircraft. 

Now, I've never flown in or on a real 777, so this is just an impression and is based on not much. But, I did wonder what others think about the sounds, overall.

What say you?

• Like 3

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I'm personally a fan of the PMDG 777, but I can't say I like the sounds.  I'm hopeful we will get a 3rd party option to replace them.  

• Like 4

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I’ll look forward to what they can do to improve engine sounds.  I really liked the ones in the P3D version so hopefully it’s a matter of adjusting some levels and mixing.

Other than engines it does sound quite nice.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

11 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Sounds are being worked on RSR said in a update.

Can you point me to where he said this, please. 

At Expo I spoke with A330 Driver for quite a while.  He's on the PMDG tech team and has been doing alpha and beta testing on this for months.  He said that PMDG is aware of the sound issues and would begin working on it after Expo.  The sound engineer for PMDG was standing next to us on the Expo floor - so wasn't yet available to begin work.  🙂  

I think the external sounds are fairly accurate. The internal sounds are lacking. The engine sounds in the cabin sound almost "tinny".... I dont know how to describe it.

As a passenger, I am on a UA 777 every month on average. Always (95% of the time) in the same seat (9A) and the sounds of the slats are very audible and sound nothing like they do on the PMDG plane. 

The plane is so so so awesome but I think the sound package is a big miss. All good, I'll just wait for the 3rd party sound pack in a few months 🙂 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, avi8tir said:

I think the external sounds are fairly accurate. The internal sounds are lacking. The engine sounds in the cabin sound almost "tinny".... I dont know how to describe it.

As a passenger, I am on a UA 777 every month on average. Always (95% of the time) in the same seat (9A) and the sounds of the slats are very audible and sound nothing like they do on the PMDG plane. 

The plane is so so so awesome but I think the sound package is a big miss. All good, I'll just wait for the 3rd party sound pack in a few months 🙂 

Many pages of  discussions of this issue on the PMDG 777 Forum. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

First flight. Not impressed with the sounds unless you are in the cabin. Even though they say they have used from P3D they are so different. During descent you could not even hear the engine sounds like before and this was from the cabin. 

I love that sound, especially from the outside views..

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

From the cockpit the engines don't sound quite as good as they could be and I hear (!) PMDG are adressing the soundscape. But I have to mention the best sound I have heard in such an addon... Go to the cabin, next to the engines. Land without reversers and set auto brake 3 (or more) From that view, you can hear the brakes and thier awesome stopping power arresting 160-odd tons from 147kts, just as if you were sitting in the real thing. It's the small details such as this that delights me. And yes, I do like clicking pens....!

Hopefully, any sound issues will have been fixed when the "cheap" option of the 777 is released.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Freq_flyer44 said:

From the cockpit the engines don't sound quite as good as they could be

Gauged by what metric?

How often do we have these discussions about flightdeck sounds in the past, usually with people who haven an opinion but no first hand experience of the real soundscape in the respective flightdecks?

I do however agree with one part of the criticisim. PMDG admitted that they re used their existing recordings of the 777 which they had from P3D.

For a company that charges such astronomical sums for their add-ons one can expect they invest the time and money and make new recordings for a new sim.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 2

I've listened to lots of "wing-view" videos of the 300er taking off and I have to say they all sound a little different. It obvsiously depends on the camera being used. Some have the low-pitch grinding growl, some of a high-pitched whine followed by a vague grinding sound after power down on the climb out. Most of the people saying "THATS NOT HOW IT SOUNDS" are out of their minds really because it seems like its all subjective, especialy when they don't have 1st hand flying experience. Granted some of the sounds I heard from livestreams did sound nothing like any of the videos I watched so some work is needed at the low-end for sure but I think the whole furore has been a little bit blown out of proportion. For the most part it sounds like they got the cockpit sounds bang on.

Incidentally, this is the sound I would like to hear in the cockpit in the sim (disclaimer -  I know its not realistic to have the sound like this in the cockpit), that low growl is a thing of beauty and this is from the 777-200..

• Upvote 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz