Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

Edinburgh Airport (EGPH) has a new owner! :) Oh :(

Posted (edited)

Anyone who's used Edinburgh Airport with any regularity knows that it comes in for some criticism, particularly in regard to charging for almost anything they can get away with and for security queue delays. Now, to be fair, my experience is the latter issue has improved somewhat over the last few years but I felt a new owner might shake things up and turn it into an international airport to be proud of.

So, when I saw the headline that the airport had a new owner, I was initially optimistic... until I read who it was: Paris-based Vinci, who own London Gatwick and Belfast International (aka Aldergrove). That's the same Belfast Int which regularly finishes low on airport ranking lists, the one which I know from a great many personal experiences has a pitifully bad reputation for its security waiting times and the lack of basic retail facilities as opposed to the duty free options. The only shop landslide is a WH Smith (newsagent/snacks etc) which is always closed well before the days final flights (and I'm talking a couple of hours or more).

Consider my optimism distinctly squashed!

OK, rant over. As you were!

Edited by 109Sqn
Typo
  • Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

It always annoys me when British establishments are owned by companies in another country. We should be investing in our own infrastructure, not letting others cough up the cash.

• Like 5

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Posted (edited)

Deleted, posted in wrong thread.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Manchester EGCC is constantly voted the world’s worst airport , and the staff security there was absolutely terrible.

Apart from one old guy on the X-ray machine who’d take great delight in correctly identifying the ready meals in my bag using his x-ray skills!

” Today it’s ……..shepherd’s pie?” 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

It always annoys me when British establishments are owned by companies in another country. We should be investing in our own infrastructure, not letting others cough up the cash.

Feel the same way about my own country. We can't be conquered militarily but we can sure be bought off.

• Like 1

Vic green

Heathrow has multiple foreign owners who just buy it for the prestige and use it as a cash cow. British Airways was once fully British owned. No longer I’m afraid.

As for Manchester airport it’s owned by many of the local councils in Gtr Manchester but I’ve never seen anything on my Council Tax bill showing how much it’s reduced by.

As for getting to the airport by private car or taxi there’s a 5GBP entry charge for max 5 mins. So a taxi for an 3 mile journey costs 20GBP. Instead I get a local bus that takes me virtually door to door for 2 GBP and runs every 15 mins.

The motorist and traveller is treated with contempt by airports throughout the country. It’s probably going to get worse in 7 days time too. 🤨

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

It should do more than annoy you, it should alarm you, the pounds sterling exiting the country and your infrastructure beholden to individuals who do not have the best interest of the UK at heart.   When all countries and individuals act benevolently, then perhaps this sort of thing can be fine.  Unfortunately, that is not the reality of today.  Bad actors abound.

• Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The motorist and traveller is treated with contempt by airports throughout the country. It’s probably going to get worse in 7 days time too. 🤨

That’s pretty cryptic Ray. Care to expand on this?🤔

6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

That’s pretty cryptic Ray. Care to expand on this?🤔

I can’t as it would break forum rules. Look at what’s happening on 4 July in GB and the likely winner.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Posted (edited)

I am not 100% positive, but i think LPPT here in Lisboa is also owned by Vinci (or used to). Needless to say it's a sad experience having to use their services. If not owned by Vinci, whoever is there isn't doing good either.

Edited by Nuno Pinto

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I can’t as it would break forum rules. 

Well that's a relief.

If there were airports and flights in America with no security at all at the terminals (fly at your own risk), then I fly from these no hassle, no inspection locations every single time. What, me worry?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 6/28/2024 at 3:59 AM, Christopher Low said:

That's not the way to make money, you invest offshore to get larger returns on your investment by also changing money overseas. UK companies invest offshore for better returns, and you end up with a mix of foreign investors in your domestic market. I think the Ontario School Teachers Pension Plan own quite a chunk of the UK airports, Infrastructure and the the Camelot Group which run the Lotteries, but to be honest their is nothing to fear about Ontario School Teachers, they own most of the world now anyways and are probably the best investors at this point. 

If anyone wants to retire a millionaire, become an Ontario School Teacher

Matthew Kane