Cpt_Piett

What's more important to you? TLOD or AI traffic?

What's more important to you? TLOD or AI traffic?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What's more important to you? TLOD or AI traffic?

• TLOD
    • AI traffic
    • I don't care
    • Both are equally important

Even though MSFS is indeed multithreaded, it's also mainthread-limited most of the time, unless there's a huge mismatch between CPU and GPU. After years of tweaking, I'm still unsure how to deal with this situation. Some days I prefer lots of traffic and hence a low TLOD (50-100 near major airports). Other days, I just don't want to have a blurry runway on final approach. I'm interested in how other people deal with being mainthread-limited. 

I voted AI traffic, as that was the most important for me on my current flight (ENGM-EGLL) in the 777 🙂

I'll include a link to Seb's in-depth explanation of the mainthread concept (June dev stream): https://youtu.be/cj4e1FhDhBE?si=J-sDVmfcAcZMuJkb&t=1240

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Using Lossless here so TLOD, OLOD and AI are maxxed 🙂    No need to choose anymore.  I "do" still see some AI stuttering in flight but that is really the only stuttering I see in the sim.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Both, but happily, with my current hardware and the available tools, I can easily use the sim at a reasonable TLOD setting (200, suits me perfect for IFR airliner flights) with reasonable amounts of AI traffic (75% for AIG) on any airport in the world (including heavy hitters like Ini's KLAX or Aerosofts EBBR). So actually no need to decide between AI traffic and TLOD for the moment 😉 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

TLOD every time. I want to see the world. A lot of the time I don't bother with AI traffic, unless I'm planning an exploration around a major airport. Usually I can get away with my standard TLOD plus AIG running full bore as I'm typically only using the drone cam in those situations.

• Like 3

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

5 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Both, but happily, with my current hardware and the available tools, I can easily use the sim at a reasonable TLOD setting (200, suits me perfect for IFR airliner flights) with reasonable amounts of AI traffic (75% for AIG) on any airport in the world (including heavy hitters like Ini's KLAX or Aerosofts EBBR). So actually no need to decide between AI traffic and TLOD for the moment 😉 

That's impressive! Do you use lossless scaling?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

That's impressive! Do you use lossless scaling?

I tried several times, but the input lag is just to big for me. So back to basic FG for me and of course, AutoFPS with TLOD turned down to 50 on big hubs. 50+ FPS on KLAX with 75% AIG AI Traffic is fine. It IS a lot smoother using 36FPS limit and lossless on x2 resulting in a total of 72FPS on top of AutoFPS and FG, but the input lag is just unbearable.

• Like 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

44 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I tried several times, but the input lag is just to big for me.

Same. I also use AutoFPS with same settings.

Most of the time I turn traffic off. I'm hoping it will be worth turning it on again for MSFS2024 

• Upvote 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Voted "don't care". Using TLOD 200 and PSXT with AIG models and no problems, 70 fps at Inibuilds EGLL.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitor: 32” ASUS PG32UCDM 240hz 4K | Additional Hardware: HP Reverb G2, TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

AI traffic, at least some, that are believable.

If you take off in a completely empty world, I don't see the immersion in that.  Where in this world are you the only plane in the sky ever?  

• Like 3

AI planes were very important to me in P3D, but so far I have been quite happy without them in MSFS. I think this is partly because I am worried that the performance hit on my mediocre PC will be way too much (I do not do AI planes in half measures; it is 100% or nothing at all), and also because I am not sure whether they will move convincingly when on the ground and on departure/landing. In addition, the ATC system in MSFS makes me hesitant to take the plunge. The only time that I use ATC at the moment is when the tower (sometimes) contacts me on departure, and that brief interaction does not exactly inspire me. It sounds less realistic to me than the ATC interaction in P3D.

I guess the only way to test this is to activate the AI planes, but I am really enjoying the freedom of movement when flying in and out of the 80+ airports that I use at the moment. I do not have to worry about AI planes "getting in the way" when on final approach (although I have no problem with having to wait in line for departure), and the static aircraft option does a pretty good job of making airports look busy. I am also really enjoying looking at the scenery during my flights. It really is outstanding, even though I use full autogen mode.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

AI is the the one thing that hits my performance the most.  I have tried several different things to minimize it and to be honest, I think I am happiest to have some plausible static aircraft at the airport and maybe just a few live aircraft.  I use both FSLTL and PSXT but keep the number of aircraft low.  My goal is a steady 30fps and I cannot do that if I am loaded with AI traffic everywhere.  

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I don't have a 4080 or 4090. So, TLOD. Traffic would limit me to unbespoken airports. So, there's little choice for me.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Aye-Aye traffic, captain.

just as Langeveldt said:

"AI traffic, at least some, that are believable. Where in this world are you the only plane in the sky ever? "

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'm interested in how other people deal with being mainthread-limited. 

Quite frankly the visual differences between TLOD of say 60 at a complex terminal, and 100 or 150, is paltry on the ground, and not much different as you climb, at least that's my perspective and maybe its in part driven by what I'm focused on as a user of two flight scoring apps that keep one attentive to plane and crew management more than looking at scenery.  Plus, using the 4090's ability to run render scale at 160 and AMD FidelityFX at 200 makes thinks sharp enough.  So for me I'll defer to having enough AI traffic to simulate a plausible environment but not so busy that I have to regularly hold for takeoffs or go-arounds at arrival.  I think I have 12 or so IFR flights happening in FSLTL and a few VFR small GA is all, but it's enough to be as I say plausible for a non busy environment.  As you know my main complaint is that I can't tolerate visual aberrations coming from NV DLSS FG so never use it, which means I have to live with a native rate around 40-45fps, which isn't bad but means the main thread is working harder than it could.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X