roi1862

Is there a way to "feel" updrafts/downdrafts ?

The issue i am having is mostly during final approach. Since we cannot really feel the effects of movement, i am finding myself mostly need to fly the vertical speed indicator, instead of looking more outside and correcting by feel. You all of a sudden look at the V/S to find you are going -1500fpm. 

Is there some way to maybe simulate camera going up/down when encountering up/down drafts ?  

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

In general, keep in mind that your primary source for glide path tracking is your sight picture. You will have your mental landing picture plus mental math when there isn't any visual glide path indicators. Your V/S is a lag instrument, but is a source to verify what you are seeing during your scan. There is fsrealistic, realturbCAT and active sky, but your primary means will be your sight picture. When on speed and glide path, you will have a certain pitch, V/S and the runway will be in a certain position in the windscreen along with a certain look. If the up/down drafts are changing your pitch or moving you up or down, you will notice it from your sight picture, confirm with V/S and adjust accordingly. Yes, you will be busy on a bumpy/gusty approach because you will be constantly applying corrections to maintain the proper sight picture. Basically, when you are getting high, the runway will look taller. Getting low, it will look flatter. Also keep in mind that runway length and width can cause illusions in regard to looking high or low. This is why you review the approach so that you are aware.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

As far as "feeling" it, it all depends how much you want to spend.

A VR headset will make you feel it a little bit. The wider the field of view you get, the more you will feel it. Something I learned years ago when a friend would take me in to the airline sim facility where she worked was that even when the pro simulators aren't on motion, it still kind of feels like you're moving. That's because there are absolutely no visual cues that you aren't. When we sim at home, the whole room isn't moving, and it's "outside of the airplane." In a pro sim, the only thing you see outside the airplane are the screens, so you're fooled into that mild sense of movement.

How much you feel in VR also depends on what you're flying. You will feel the sense of motion more in a fighter jet or the Icon than you will in an airliner because the view outside of the cockpit is better.

The next step up is a motion chair base, which is available. And prices are coming down. They used to be well into 5-figures. I'm seeing them now for 5 or 6 thousand bucks. Still too rich for my blood, but they're getting close.

There are also force feedback controllers out there but they, too, are quite expensive.

Edited by eslader
  • Like 1

Yhh i was wondering about some soft option... like a camera addon maybe that might make me "feel" the drafts. Camera translate up down according to the drafts.

Roi Ben

Some of the addon planes do that already. If you ever do get VR, make sure to turn it off or you will barf. 😉

Everyone considering a motion rig has also keep in mind that you have to have the space and that these things are loud. So unless you have a secluded space i.e. a Mancave, you can forget about them.

21 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Everyone considering a motion rig has also keep in mind that you have to have the space and that these things are loud. So unless you have a secluded space i.e. a Mancave, you can forget about them.

And if your pets are stupid like mine, they'll take up even more space. If I get one, I'll have to build a "fence" around it to keep one of them away from the moving parts. 😉

37 minutes ago, Farlis said:

DOF Reality H3 is quiet and fits in the same space as a typical cockpit 3x5 feet. And they are very affordable compared to most other options. 

10 hours ago, G550flyer said:

In general, keep in mind that your primary source for glide path tracking is your sight picture. You will have your mental landing picture plus mental math when there isn't any visual glide path indicators. Your V/S is a lag instrument, but is a source to verify what you are seeing during your scan. There is fsrealistic, realturbCAT and active sky, but your primary means will be your sight picture. When on speed and glide path, you will have a certain pitch, V/S and the runway will be in a certain position in the windscreen along with a certain look. If the up/down drafts are changing your pitch or moving you up or down, you will notice it from your sight picture, confirm with V/S and adjust accordingly. Yes, you will be busy on a bumpy/gusty approach because you will be constantly applying corrections to maintain the proper sight picture. Basically, when you are getting high, the runway will look taller. Getting low, it will look flatter. Also keep in mind that runway length and width can cause illusions in regard to looking high or low. This is why you review the approach so that you are aware.

"Basically, when you are getting high, the runway will look taller."

Lol, i haven't smoked pot for more then 30 years, but this i'd like to see! 😀

• Like 1

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

On 6/28/2024 at 3:23 PM, roi1862 said:

Is there some way to maybe simulate camera going up/down when encountering up/down drafts ?  

Some cockpit inertia and seeing the cockpit shake upwards or downwards is always very immersive and visualize what a real pilot would feel while flying very good!

That is a great idea!

You need a chair that falls 500 to 1000 feet per minute to get the felling lol

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

You need a chair that falls 500 to 1000 feet per minute to get the felling lol

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI