cepact

Just a reminder to avoid polar routes

polar flights don't work in MSFS, the sim drops in FPS and plane crashes. just happened to me in the middle of my OMDB-KSEA flight

it's a shame for the most modern simulator to not have this fixed

• Like 2

I found that out the hard way last night myself.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

16 minutes ago, B777ER said:

How far up can you go before it CTD?

I think they said stay south of 85 North. 

• Like 2

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

3 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I think they said stay south of 85 North

Like 87 South? Just joking....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fsiscool said:

Like 87 South? Just joking....

I honestly laughed out loud when I read this. Nothing like a good latitude joke to spice up the evening. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Good to know, the 777 certainly provides lots of opportunity for polar routes.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I didn't know about this one, but apparently it's been a topic here on other sims in past decades as well. The weird thing is, I vaguely remember flying close to the pole here in MSFS, maybe about one year ago. I don't remember the specifics, it might have been Dubai to New York. I don't remember any problems other than one couldn't adjust the view in the outside spot plane view near the pole, but that worked again once one got further south.

Anyway, out of curiosity I've just departed Barrow Alaska for Murmansk in Russia, which will take me right over the geographic North Pole. I'll report back.

Yeah I've flown pretty close to the top on a Narita to Brussels flight before and never had an issue

• Upvote 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

Barrow to Murmansk was no problem. Time and fuel worked out just as expected. Upper level winds and weather seemed reasonably realistic. Noticed again the slightly strange issue with the spot plane view being able to rotate only around the vertical axis. Also up near the pole the FMC cruise page showed some weird optimum and maximum altitudes. I do fly at a low fps limit in cruise. I have no doubt there's some more weird stuff there. Would be cool to fly to the South Pole in the southern summer.