Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Since turning seventy-five, I'm falling apart...

Once I turned seventy-five, I've begun falling apart. I was in the hospital twice for a severe lung infection, once for two peptic ulcers, and just this past week had my gallbladder surgically removed night before last!

Fortunately, the on-call surgeon had blood drawn and was able to determine the cause of my low-level pain in my mid abdomen was the result of my gallbladder having been nearly double normal size and immediately got me into a surgical suite where he made seven small incisions from which he was able to perform laparoscopic surgery and remove the entire gallbladder easily. Not quite an hour passed from my entry into the ER and me being moved into a private room for an overnight recovery.

What struck me most was that I had no idea that he'd literally "glue" the incisions closed. When I got home yesterday evening I immediately covered the glued area with large band aids to protect those areas from me scratching at them while sleeping. I sure don't want to get them infected!

The only other time I had abdominal surgery was back in the mid-sixties when a nearly burst appendix was removed at the Army base hospital in Ft. Bragg, NC (now named Ft. Liberty) I closely examined the scars from that surgery and was appalled to note how large an incision was made to remove the appendix! I recalled that it took nearly a month to recover from that operation.

Man, how times have changed for the better. Here I sit at my computer with zero pain not quite 48 hours since being operated on... 🤩 Even though I have VA medical coverage, because of the PACT Act, I'm able to use the VA Community Care to have the CHI St. Vincents hospital to provide services with zero co-pay, instead of having to travel nearly sixty miles to the VA Hospital in Little Rock, AR.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Glad to hear you are recovering quickly, Bill!  🤕

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I had to have my gall bladder removed about two years or so ago.  They air lifted me by helicopter to Las Cruces almost 200 miles away to have the surgery done.

As I was on the gurney awaiting the anesthesiologist a nurse came in with the the menu and asked me what I wanted for dinner.  I placed my order as I was being wheeled into surgery.

The next thing I remembered was a nurse saying I would be delivered to my room in about 30 minutes.

When I got to my room my dinner tray was waiting for me.

I also had laparoscopic surgery with a very tiny incision.

Mountainview hospital in Las Cruces has restaurant style menus and regular meals to order.

The next day the hospital arranged for a volunteer van service to drive me back 300 miles to Roswell.

Being retired military and on Medicare and Tricare it didn't cost me a dime.

We're both pretty lucky Bill.

Noel

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Get well soon, Bill!

I had to take my dad to the hospital at midnight a year ago because he had severe abdominal pains, and it turned out to be an infected gall bladder. It took them long enough to administer sufficient pain relief that he was able to relax a bit. Very frustrating to see my dad in so much pain for that length of time. I left the hospital at 5:45 AM that morning. He had his gall bladder removed the next day, and he is perfectly fine now.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Posted (edited)

Dang, Bill. Glad you're OK. Get well and don't scratch that glue. I imagine it does itch. Please take care of yourself! (OOPS)

Edited by Penzoil3

21 hours ago, birdguy said:

Being retired military and on Medicare and Tricare it didn't cost me a dime.

We're both pretty lucky Bill.

Don't I know it! Since moving to Arkansas, I've been Blessed with an abundance of health care options. Aside from the VA, the State is also paying for an Atena Dual-Eligible Insurance policy which also means that I receive $200 per month on a Debit card, which I can buy OTS medical/health supplies and "transportation" costs, the latter of which I use to keep my car's tank filled. This is critical because one never knows from day to day when a long drive will be necessary.

Thanks for the reply my friend, and may the Good Lord take a liking to you! (Attributed toT.E. Ford)

Fr. Bill    

22 hours ago, charliearon said:

Glad to hear you are recovering quickly, Bill!  🤕

Thanks, Charlie!

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill