Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Better than a Model 3?

9 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

VW, Mercedes, have are now making Hybrid Toyota also. Ford US have halted production of EVs. 

They already where making hybrids. So no idea what you mean. 

Some legacy manufacturers, can't compete with Tesla. Tesla are now more valuable than all other manufacturers combined. 

As for Ford Europe, they've just spent 2 billion on a BEV plant, in Cologne. 

Ford US below...

https://insideevs.com/news/725448/ford-us-ev-sales-june2024/

"Simultaneously, Ford noticeably increased its all-electric car sales. Last month, Ford sold 6,972 EVs, 18% more than a year ago. The EV share of the brand's total volume improved to 4.4%, compared to 3.5% a year ago."

All I've seen is that there's a delay on the new electric Ford Pickup and SUV. 

As for Toyota...

https://www.automotivedive.com/news/toyota-ceo-next-generation-bevs-factory-changes-2026/715985/

"The automaker reaffirmed its electrification commitments last month with plans to increase its current lineup by releasing 10 new BEV models by 2026, said Hiroki Nakajima, executive vice president and chief technology officer, who oversees products."

Edited by martin-w

9 hours ago, martin-w said:

s for Ford Europe, they've just spent 2 billion on a BEV plant, in Cologne.

They are building this plant in Europe likely because the EU is forcing everyone to buy an EV in the near future, or else ride a bike or take the bus, which is the real intent in the long run - they don't want anyone, except the rich, driving cars.

The only reason EVs have any sales at all are the massive subsidies, now in the hundreds of billions, that govts have poured into the industry, not because they give 2 s**** about the planet, but mainly to enrich themselves and their cronies.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

17 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Please don't pat attention to clickbait, sensationalist videos.

As for Mercedes, as I said above, all Mercedes have done is delay their strategy to ONLY manufacture BEV's. They are still manufacturing new BEV models, contrary to your claim that German manufacturers aren't manufacturing them at all.

15 hours ago, dave2013 said:

they don't want anyone, except the rich, driving cars.

I disagree, Dave. The Model 3 is now well below the Average US car price. And the subsidies, per car,  aren't huge. And in Europe there's a multitude of BEV's at very reasonable cost. Average new car price in the UK is £40,000 and an MG BEV is under 30K, reasonable range, too.

Range is increasing all the time as new battery tech comes on-line, new charging stations are being built and new cheaper battery chemistry like LFP is being adopted.

It's also true, of course, that even if all ICE cars were banned this instant, they would still be around in the second hand market for the next 30 plus years. So no conspiracy to restrict driving to the rich. 

Small subsidies for BEV's aren't any kind of issue for me given that the industry that extracts and refines the fuel for ICE cars is subsidised to the tune of a trillion dollars every year. I'm no expert on the US tax credit system for EV's but I've read that the credits are desighned to offer the most for those on low income and the least, or none, for the rich. So I see no attempt to prevent the poor from driving.

Edited by martin-w