Sign in to follow this  
ark4diusz

Current consensus - Active Sky vs Default Weather

Had longer brake for Flight Sim. I have noticed that Active Sky pushed few updates since the release. What is general consensus between Active Sky vs Default weather? Which one to choose?

I love active Sky, use it on every flight. T storms coming into Atlanta yesterday, same as happening outside my home.

• Like 3

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ark4diusz said:

Which one to choose?

Do you like Coca-Cola or Pepsi? Apple or Android smartphones? Ferrari or McLaren?

You'll receive many subjective opinions (mine included) and many of these won't match what your own preferences are.

As I see it:

Active Sky benefits: More cloud layers, more diverse cloud layer types, more likely to experience thunderstorms, air is more dynamic, ability to offset the MSFS 'feature' of halving windspeed at ground level.

Default weather benefits: Free, ability to see and approach/fly through/past distant fronts, no transitions (even gradual ones) whatsoever, 'genuine' global weather rather than continually updating adapted presets.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

ActiveSky hands down for me (low & slow VFR stylee!) default live weather pales in comparison.

• Like 1

Pico Neo3 Link VR - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Since ASFS was released I've used non stop, part of my pre-flight routine, load flight plan/check takeoff/landing winds (could never get even the wind forecast for the smaller airports using default).

The biggest compliment I could give it over default is that I don't even notice the weather anymore. It's just THERE. No longer do I look at clouds and think "was the bomb finally dropped?". When it IS dramatic it feels realistic enough to make me feel nervous flying in it. I have a take-off on YT with me umm cussing with shock whenever lightning struck near the plane. 

Also if the weather IRL is ...'boring' that's what you get. No fake looking gamy cloud systems. Last night KSEZ to KTEX not a cloud in sky until descent then the wisps started to appear subtly. Plus mild turbulence. Just FELT real, not shocking, like IRL.

• Like 2

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

Yeah, I use AS all the time now. The transitions I barely notice at all.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

I can't fly without Active Sky, this gives me the expected live weather diversity. MSFS live weather is always the same in the respective contexts, no surprises, no risk of not reaching your destination. Child's play.

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

How much of a performance killer is AS?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

I don't see any real performance loss at all and I'm in VR where the performance tax straw can break the camel's back.

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

38 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

How much of a performance killer is AS?

None

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Transitions immediately kills the immersion with Active Sky and the lack of proper distant weathers, always has in every single flight sim they released for. 

• Upvote 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

So I really like what Active Sky adds to the atmospere.  The default weather seems to just always be the same shaped puffy clouds.  While Active Sky adds humidity effects (I think) and many different cloud shapes and sizes.

The only catch...is yes...it basically shows one weather sitiuation at a time.  Yes that is a big hit.  Despite that, I use Active Sky nearly all the time because its just nice to see a different sky.

Just now, Sticky said:

So I really like what Active Sky adds to the atmospere.  The default weather seems to just always be the same shaped puffy clouds.  While Active Sky adds humidity effects (I think) and many different cloud shapes and sizes.

The only catch...is yes...it basically shows one weather sitiuation at a time.  Yes that is a big hit.  Despite that, I use Active Sky nearly all the time because its just nice to see a different sky.

Yeah, I got tired of no T-storms and lightning and only CU clouds. Boring. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, ark4diusz said:

Had longer brake for Flight Sim. I have noticed that Active Sky pushed few updates since the release. What is general consensus between Active Sky vs Default weather? Which one to choose?

Looks like it’s AS 😉

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

I generally like AS. I'm hopeful they turn up the dial a little bit: I find the effects to be somewhat... Muted. Flying around Houston as the hurricane was coming ashore, the clouds looked like a regular low-grade thunderstorm. Certainly didn't look hurricane-ish, but it looked better than the plastic clouds the default engine was spitting out. Some of that could have been that I was flying in from the north in a jet, and it didn't have time to load in the local weather before I landed.

It'd be great if they'd give AS access so they could do the dynamic weather the default renderer can do, but I doubt that will ever happen.