Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

MSFS time versus weather

50 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

Is it only 24 hours?, in P3D AS had no such limitation 

No. Historical weather in ASFS is available for several years back.

Posted (edited)

As others have pointed out, now, and then - because as some also pointed out, neither did the older or do the present competitors such as XP12 and P3Dv6 - MSFS doesn't do it BUT! with ASFS you can have historical weather.

With ASFS (just as with all other versions of Active Sky) you can opt for synchronizing the time with MSFS 2020 time and date so that when you change the date / time in the sim, the matching weather situation will also be downloaded and injected into the sim.

But you made a very good point and one that actually distinguishes MSFS 2020 from all other platforms, at least did until changes started to be made to the weather engine due to various problems with blending of METAR weather (Observation) with Model Forecast (from Meteoblue "assets"...) and that's the influence of factors like radiation in the generation of some weather features which are modelled (or at least were...) dynamically, based on Sun radiation arriving to the troposphere and hitting the terrain around your aircraft, such as convection (and subsidence).

But honestly after starting to update the base weather engine in order to fix some problems with "airport weather" I am not 100% sure those new forms of modelling convection are still active in such a way that as you pointed out, changing time between day and night will ALSO impact thermals, at least over areas with no nearby observation (METAR) sopts (???)

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

16 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I have seen that after release AS had not so many positive comments, is it improved by now ?

I purchased the software when it came out, like other hifisim products in the past. I know how to use it but I do not particularly like it and rarely use it. (if I do use it I launch it before flight and check the briefing tab and shut it down) Many people here seem to like it. Elsewhere not many love it really. If you are on the fence my recommendation would be not to buy it.

8 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Is it only 24 hours?, in P3D AS had no such limitation 

Many things were different in P3D, glad I don't have to fly P3D anymore. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  BATC ATC  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Many things were different in P3D, glad I don't have to fly P3D anymore. 

The point is this limitation is also absent in the MSFS version, contrary to what you were claiming earlier in the thread.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS