Sign in to follow this  
davenicoll

Real World Weather

Hi guys,

After some advice...at present I use real world weather via AS for MSFS which is excellent.

However, today I run into a planning issue lol... I loaded up the sim and went up to the airport I fly most from to do some VFR circuits (Liverpool in the UK) but once loaded it was absolutely clear no VFR flying today due to very poor visibility and rain.

But, whilst sitting at my computer 150 miles away looking out the window it was perfect.

Do you check the weather at your departure airport for circuits before loading the sim if using real world weather to stop you running into the different weather scenarios?

6 minutes ago, davenicoll said:

Do you check the weather at your departure airport for circuits before loading the sim if using real world weather to stop you running into the different weather scenarios?

if you using real weather in the sim I would check all METARs within departure airport and surrounding areas. To make it more fun figure out ahead of time what airport you may be force deviate if weather get worse. Now that make flying more interesting in my opinion 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Posted (edited)

I was watching the Scottish Open golf from Troon, close to Prestwick airport. The weather there was lovely, so I flew there from Manchester, where it was grey and raining. When I arrived the weather was just as on TV, so very happy with weather depiction today 

Actually, I went to the wrong golf club, but never-ending it was  nice flight 😀 

Edited by MorrisMinor
  • Like 1

If you goto https://www.windy.com/ and enable the Airports function by clicking on the aircraft icon in the bottom right panel, you will see airports as a small circle. Those circles which are green have a metar available by clicking on the green circle. You can then see whether you are likely to be able to use that airport with real-time weather.

Other useful items available in the menu (right-hand side of screen) are cloud base, weather radar, low clouds etc.

• Like 1

Wow martinc1972 that is an amazing website...Tested it on Liverpool, just typed in the airport code in the search top left corner and it brings up comprehensive info...plus a little green box saying VFR which I would assume means suitable weather.

Here is a site I use all the time, to figure out active runways.     https://metar-taf.com/?c=251003.-1041943.4

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  BATC ATC  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310