Sign in to follow this  
lightplane

Runway incursion at uncontrolled airports

I took a scheduled flight from Edmonton Municipal to Grande Prairie this afternoon, cleared for an ILS approach to Runway 29 and imagine my surprise to see a Jazz Dash 8 siting on the runway ready for take-off.Once selected approach, I'm told I can change frequency but I have no unicom frequency options, even though I entered one in the controllers page.Humm - or did I? I seem to remember some numbers after CYQU in adventure display that must have been the unicom - now if I'd had been on that channel, would I have heard the Dash talking on unicom or not (in Rc4, not MSATC)?I could have tuned to MS ATC unicom (if I had the sound volume up) and I would then have known about the Dash on the runway - but shouldn't RC4 be able to handle this too?ThanksP.S. I declared missed approach and went around and RC4 Centre was very helpful with regards to that.

Guest Douglas Thompson

>>Once selected approach, I'm told I can change frequency but I have no unicom frequency options, even though I entered one in the controllers page...Humm - or did I? I seem to remember some numbers after CYQU in adventure display that must have been the unicom - now if I'd had been on that channel, would I have heard the Dash talkingon unicom or not (in Rc4, not MSATC)?<>I could have tuned to MS ATC unicom (if I had the sound volume up) and I would then have known about the Dash on the runway - but shouldn't RC4 be able to handle this too?<>P.S. I declared missed approach and went around and RC4 Centre was very helpful with regards to that.<

Thanks DougI fly into quite a few uncontrolled airports in Canada (some even have scheduled jet traffic in real life) - so some form of unicom options on arrival would be great - kind of like we get when taking off from uncontrolled fields.For now, I'll watch out for traffic visually and go around of I see them on my runway - guess it's their runway until its vacated.David

Hi David,What I do is have FSATC on com2. Then once I've finished with RC (visual on the field) I tune in the FSATC and start working with that for the landing phase of the flight.All the best,John

Guest Douglas Thompson

And this gives me yet another enhancement idea. See folks, it works! Guessing 70% or more of RCv4, the enhancements are not ideas John and I conjure up in our heads. They're suggestions, from you!RCv4 is great!, because:- JD's dedication- we've got imo the best beta team on the planet- you participate by using the forum and posting ideas

>Hi David,>>What I do is have FSATC on com2. Then once I've finished with>RC (visual on the field) I tune in the FSATC and start working>with that for the landing phase of the flight.>>All the best,>>JohnSounds a good work around. To set MSATC on com 2 - do I just set Com 2 on the radio and have ATC turned on in settings - then if I want to use MSATC just tune Com 2 to the required frequency - i.e. unicom in this case?David

>>Hi David,>>>>What I do is have FSATC on com2. Then once I've finished>with>>RC (visual on the field) I tune in the FSATC and start>working>>with that for the landing phase of the flight.>>>>All the best,>>>>John>>Sounds a good work around. To set MSATC on com 2 - do I just>set Com 2 on the radio and have ATC turned on in settings ->then if I want to use MSATC just tune Com 2 to the required>frequency - i.e. unicom in this case?>>DavidOkay - tried it and it works amazingly well - just remember to enter the same call sign information into MSATC as you do for RC4.

Guest VCSIGDA

Hi all,I am trying this out as well, I have a few questions, You dont have to load a flight plan in FS2004 planner for this to work, is this correct?I only listen to fs2004 weather briefing at the start of the flight (I think RCV4 and FS2004 will conflict here with a double weather report, if I remeber correctly), then I use RCV4 for everything else till I call visual on the field or request IAP (I dont touch FS2004 ATC), then cancel IFR plan in rcv4. Then I use FS2004 ATC for the rest by tuning into the airport frequency. IS this how everybody else do it as well.FS2004 pilot voice 3 is checked on for pilot replies and ATC in the volumes of FS2004 is turned on as well.also, Is there a way to stop FS2004 ATC talking to AI traffic while you are using RCV4 to get to your uncontrolled airport? It would be nice to just listen to RCV4 during flight, OR ON THE GROUND, but when I tune into the same frequency that FS2004 is using, you get double ATC talk.Some from FS2004 and some from RCV4 ATC.Thanks a bunch,

>Hi all,>>I am trying this out as well, I have a few questions, >>You dont have to load a flight plan in FS2004 planner for this>to work, is this correct?Correct>>I only listen to fs2004 weather briefing at the start of the>flight (I think RCV4 and FS2004 will conflict here with a>double weather report, if I remeber correctly), then I use>RCV4 for everything else till I call visual on the field or>request IAP (I dont touch FS2004 ATC), then cancel IFR plan in>rcv4. Then I use FS2004 ATC for the rest by tuning into the>airport frequency. IS this how everybody else do it as well.>RC4 has excellent weather breifingh even at uncontrolled airports - you call the FSS to get weather here. To use it, make sure automatic tuning is turned on in options, as you don't have a frequency to tune (it is phone call after all)>FS2004 pilot voice 3 is checked on for pilot replies and ATC>in the volumes of FS2004 is turned on as well.Correct>>also, Is there a way to stop FS2004 ATC talking to AI traffic>while you are using RCV4 to get to your uncontrolled airport?>It would be nice to just listen to RCV4 during flight, OR ON>THE GROUND, but when I tune into the same frequency that>FS2004 is using, you get double ATC talk.>Some from FS2004 and some from RCV4 ATC.Yes - in your aircraft, make sure Com 2 is selected. Rc4 always works on Com 1 so you will only be tuning com 1 when using Rc4. When it is time to contact MSATC to use unicom at an uncontrolled field, or to request progressive taxi at a controlled airport, bring up the FS menu, and make your selections. This way you don't have to end RC4 first - they can co-exist side by side and you can contect either as necessary. This is nice when using unicom on approach because you can still use RC4 to declare an emergency to go to another airport.It works perfectly and no double-talk. But don't forget at the start of each flight to press com 2, otherwise you'll hear MSATC and RC4 giving you the weather, for example.>>Thanks a bunch,>>

Guest VCSIGDA

Hi,I was always just leaving the comm in the comm1 position, I never tried putting the comm in the comm2 position during my flight, then RCV4 will use comm1 anyway........hope I have this right.I will try this out, it sounds great, especially because you dont have to disable RCV4...Way to cool!!!Thanks for your help,

Guest VCSIGDA

Hi John,I am just trying to figure this out.I am using the PMDG 1900C aircraft.Does RCV4 still have higher priority over FS2004 ATC in regards to keyboard key pressing? EX)with comm2 selected, at the departure (uncontrolled airport), if I have a RCV4 key press 2 on the advdisplay, and FS2004 has a 2 as well, RCV4 will override. I did notice FS2004's menus going to a deeper sub menu when I tuned comm2 to the FS2004 ATC frequency.I think I get the picture, Use RCV4 at the start of the flight, enroute, at the arrival airport call visual on the field, or request IAP from RCV4, dont exit out of RCV4, dont cancel IFR plan in RCV4, then...its the then that scares me.If I dont cancel my IFR with RCV4, then I will still have selections in the advdisplay window (1,2,3,4), How do I use FS2004 ATC selections, RCV4 will override FS2004 at my arrival (uncontrolled field).I can not remember what selections are available if I request a visual or IAP from RCV4, OK, I will just have to try it out, when I get to my arrival (uncontrolled) field, I will either request a visual if I can see the field or request a IAP approach if conditions are poor, I will not cancel my IFR flight plan with RCV4 in case I have to go to another airport, I will then attempt to use FS2004 ATC to talk to local traffic. If RVC4 key presses are taking over, I will have to cancel my IFR plan. If I cancel my IFR plan I know FS2004 ATC key presses have number one priority. But I want to keep my IFR plan with RCV4 for alternate airports.I will stop rambling on here, any advice here will help,Thanks a bunch for any help,

Hi Vincent,Good point, I forgot about that.You need to change the key assignments in RC (press the keyboard button on the main RC screen).I use ctrl shift 1, ctrl shift 2 etc instead of 1,2,...That way MS ATC can still be controlled using 1,2,3,...All the best,John

Guest VCSIGDA

Hi John,Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. Can't wait to try this out :9 Happy flying,

>RC4 has excellent weather breifingh even at uncontrolled>airports - you call the FSS to get weather here. To use it,>make sure automatic tuning is turned on in options, as you>don't have a frequency to tune (it is phone call after all)it's the same frequency on the controller's screen, next to weather briefing